the art of being legal

Residency for entrepreneurs in Spain

Josep Conesa. abogado laboralista (Barcelona)


Written by Josep Conesa

Labour and bankruptcy lawyer 



Where can you apply for the visa?

  • If you are outside of Spain: You will apply for a visa for entrepreneurs in the Consulate of Spain in your country of residence.
  • If you are legally in Spain or have an entrepreneur visa: You will apply for the residence permit for entrepreneurs in the Large Companies and Strategic Collectives Unit (Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (UGE-CE)).

How long is the permit valid?

  • Visa: 1 year.
  • Initial residence authorisation: 2 years.
  • Authorisation renewal: 2 years.

How is the project evaluated?

Experts from the General Directorate of International Trade and Investments will value:

  1. Your professional profile: professional training and experience as well as your involvement in the project.
  2. The Business Plan which must contain, at least:
    • Project description: Business activity to be developed, start date, location, intended legal form of the company, potential economic impact that the investment suggests, estimated number of jobs that will be created along with their duties and qualifications, planned promotional activities and sales strategy. 
    • Description of the product or service: This description will be detailed and will include the innovative aspects. 
    • Market analysis: Market assessment and expected developments, description of possible competitors, assessment of potential consumers and supply and demand analysis.
    • Financing: Required investment, sources of financing and financial plan.
  3. Value to be added to the Spanish economy, innovation or investment opportunities.


WhICH documents must be submitted?

  • Passport.
  • Public or private medical insurance with an entity operating in Spain.
  • Criminal record.
  • Accreditation of financial means.
  • For visa applications: Favorable Report issued by the Economic and Commercial Office of the embassy of Spain responsible for the geographical area where you reside
  • For residence authorisation applications: Business plan.



Yes, at any time, jointly or successively, the following family members may request the authorisation and/or the visa:

  • Spouse or common-law partner
  • Minors or older children who are financially dependent on the applicant.
  • Dependent ascendants.


Abogado extranjería

Abogado laboralista Barcelona

Date published: 15 November 2022

Last updated: 27 March 2024